“At RedCLARA, and I am sure that in the community of our networks, we believe that the place to initiate this change is education. We need to invest in education and create and strengthen the tools to make that investment as effective as possible. With such levels of underinvestment, our organizations have an important story to tell and relevant contributions to make. The academic networks of the world are a role model, they have a mode of action, an ethos, that show the potential of our species when guided by the right emotions. The world of networks, we have endeavoured to put people forward, to allow them not only to continue with their lives, but to advance, and that is something that gives hope and strength to face everything the hardest, more than technological networks, we are a VERY HUMAN network ”. These heartfelt words from the Executive Director of RedCLARA, Luis Eliécer Cadenas, were part of the opening speech of the tenth edition of TICAL and the fourth of the Latin American e-Science Meeting that began today at 14:00 GMT online on the https://tical2020.redclara.net.
After the opening welcome given by the Executive Director of RedCLARA, the plenary session was in the hands of its moderator, Carlos Casasús -Director General of the University Corporation for the Development of the Internet - CUDI - who, from Mexico, gave way to the presentation of the Director General of DG CONNECT of the European Commission, Roberto Viola, who highlighted the relevance of the collaboration between Europe and Latin America that will be strengthened thanks to the BELLA Project in its land phase, which increases the capacities of the South American backbone of RedCLARA, and in the submarine, which will run a cable between Portugal and Brazil to link the regional academic networks of both continents. “The investment that is done in BELLA will have a great impact in the economy. Bella will have a great impact in green economy and digital economy. No one should be left behind that’s why cooperation is so important, and the cable is the beginning of a longer cooperation. In the European Commission there's a long-term commitment to work with you”, he said.
The session continued with the presentations of the leaders of the regional academic networks of Latin America and Europe, Luis Eliécer Cadenas (on behalf of RedCLARA) and Erik Huizer, Executive Director of GÉANT, who focused on collaboration activities between both continents, highlighting the possibilities that BELLA opens, and the Enlighten Your Research programme.
The plenary session block concluded with a presentation by Victor Neto and Mauricio Trejo from Google. It must be noted that the platform on which TICAL2020 and the 4th Latin American e-Science Meeting are being developed is from Google and has been set up by BeduTech.
After the plenary session, the virtual stands of: BeduTech & Google, Cisco, Commscope, Cirrus Identity, CloudHesive & AWS were opened.
And the afternoon program will continue with:
TICAL Parallel Session | Connectivity and infrastructure in the smart university:
- Implementación de un Centro de Datos Alterno para recuperación de servicios de misión crítica. Caso de la Universidad Estatal a Distancia
- Despliegue de Infraestructura como Servicio utilizando OpenStack: un caso de éxito en la Universidad de Cuenca
- Implementación de tecnologías disruptivas en la educación superior. Caso de la Universidad Estatal a Distancia
- Presentation of Cirrus-Identity
E-Science Parallel Session | High performance processing / storage:
- Alianza latinoamericana para el desarrollo de capacidades en física avanzada
- Impacto de la e-Infraestructura de RICAP para el desarrollo de la e-Ciencia en Iberoamérica
Parallel Session Enlighten Your Research Latin America-Europe - Lightning Talks
- Diseño, obtención y evaluación biológica de nuevos fármacos candidatos frente a enfermedades parasitarias
- ¿Comida rápida disponible para los corales? Comprendiendo el comportamiento de los microplásticos alrededor de los arrecifes de coral en función de las condiciones hidrodinámicas
- Creación de una red de colaboración internacional para anotar el genoma de cinco especies de coca (ERYTHROXYLUM): hacia la búsqueda de usos medicinales alternativos
- Observatorio Latinoamericano Gigante (LAGO)
- Sessions on Computer Security:
- TICAL Sec Meeting - CSIRTs NRENs (By invitation only)
- Workshop Creation of CSIRT for decision makers
- Café CIO of the friend Luis G.
- Scientific Dissemination: Re-create science